Dewars Lane Granary is a Grade II Listed building that is part of a densely-packed concentration of narrow streets and alleyways within Berwick Upon Tweed’s Elizabethan Quay Walls, now a Scheduled Monument.
The building contained a multitude of granaries, maltings, workshops, smokeries, mills, icehouses, and other premises that form part of the Berwick Town Centre Conservation Area. Originally known as John Dewar’s Granary, it was badly damaged by fire early in 1815, from which it developed a pronounced lean.
The building was not insured, the owners could not afford to rebuild so it was propped up with buttresses and put back to ‘work’. It was in use for storing and conditioning grain and, more recently, linseed and grass seed, until 1985, where it lay empty and became increasingly derelict.